Note to self. I write because:
- Improved clarity of thought
- Archive of thought
- Improves writing skills
In addition, I write in public because:
- It reinforces a mindset of speaking my mind in public (i.e. courage)
- Receive valuable feedback and external perspectives
- Build & maintain relationships — people can learn about me and keep up with what I’m up to
Furthermore, I’ve found that it’s addicting to write in public.
- It feels good to look back on writing and realize you’ve expressed yourself clear and well. And that you understand the topic well know.
- It feels good to develop a voice.
- It feels good to watch yourself improve. You can write better, faster with practice.
- You become more self-observant of your thoughts, and realize that there are so many interesting things to write about.
- It feels good to get positive feedback on your writing.
Furthermore, I think it’s a good idea to even default to sharing in public (vs writing in a private Note app, then selectively copying to publish).
If you get busy and don’t get around to that explicit publish step, there is a 0% chance that anybody else might discover your work, which might actually be very good. If you default to publishing publicly, that doesn’t mean you need to actively promote it, but at least there’s a nonzero chance of someone finding it eventually.