I’m Mark, jack of a few trades and aspiring master of at least one.
I’m a systems programmer.
I’ve worked on emulators, operating systems, and compilers; reverse-engineered binaries and written exploits; and spent an ungodly amount of time in gdb.
I’m a writer.
I write an assortment of technical deep dives, essays, and tweets. The goal is to articulate nuance, record lessons, and think more clearly.
I used to work in infosec but now I work in music tech. In 2020, I took a gap year and spent it making music and programming (including contributions to the Linux kernel and LLDB). I also created Timestamps, a workflow product for DJs, which I grew to a humble $50 MRR before making it free. I spent the fall working at a fast food restaurant.
Anything you’d like to hear about? DMs are open — feel free to hit me up on Twitter.
What’s your email? I’ll let you know when I write something new:
Thanks for stopping by!
- file(1) – Reported ELF coredump parsing bug
- Linux man-pages – Reported undocumented inaccuracy in /proc memory statistics
- Linux Kernel – Discovered & patched misleading error logging during OOM conditions
- LLDB – Discovered & patched memory corruption bug in “finish” command
- osquery – Significant improvements to coverage of local certificate stores on Windows
- DMTCP – Implemented filesystem path virtualization for checkpointed applications
- 2020 – Audio Developer Conference: “Reverse engineering DAWs to build custom workflow tools” (online)
- 2019 – QueryCon: “osql: The community-oriented fork of osquery” (New York)
- 2018 – NorthSec; High Confidence Software & Systems Conference: “Binary analysis, meet the blockchain” (Montreal)
- 2017 – O’Reilly Security; NYC Python Meetup: “Symbolic execution for humans” (New York)
- 2017 – Empire Hacking: “Automatic bugfinding for the blockchain” (New York)
- 2016 – NU Hacks: “Introduction to Binary Exploitation” (Boston)
- 2016 – HackBeanpot: “binfmt_mysc” (Boston)
- ASE 2019: “Manticore: A User-Friendly Symbolic Execution Framework for Binaries and Smart Contracts”
- A song I produced for YAOKAI & Sleet Mage was covered in HYPEBEAST.
- 2018 – Open Mic @ Little Skips (New York)
- 2019 – Open Decks Brooklyn @ Eris (New York)
- 2019 – Panic Assembly x vibe.digital presents: comfort, SOUL, WTCHCRFT, Djedi @ H0l0 (New York)
- 2020 – yandere presents: derefest 2020 (online)
- 2020 – Forest Bois presents: Secret Garden Sessions 01 (online)
- 2021 – Open Decks Brooklyn @ Eris (New York)