I’m trying something new. I added WordPress tags for higher level categories of content that cut across the typical tags:
- Deep Dive: Longer, more detailed posts that require significant research. Very expensive to produce.
- Tech: Normal technical blog post. More polished than Lab Notes, less researched than Deep Dive.
- Lab Notes: Rough notes, typically technical, usually bullet points about some topic.
- Essay: Nonfiction writing, usually nontechnical.
- Micropost: Tiny, short thought.
I hope that by categorizing things this way and acknowledging that this blog is a collection of different art forms (that appear similar because they’re all writing), I’ll be more comfortable publishing publicly. For a while I was scared to publish because I don’t have as much time for deep dives as before, which is what people seemed to really like, but acknowledging these different categories and specifically calling out a shorter, rougher, less polished piece as such takes the pressure off of publishing it.